Friday, March 17, 2006

Ham, Beans and Cornbread

I have Ham and Beans in the Pressure Cooker now and cornbread in the oven. I am making it for a friend with an ill father per his request. I looked for a new cornbread recipe since the friend said her dad did not like sweet cornbread, which I usully make. I think I failed in that regard. It looks like it is turning out to be a good recipe but maybe too sweet for his tastes. I usually make a batch of honey butter to go with. And like most of my recipes, I found it on the internet.

Susan's Cornbread
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Big Chief sugar
8 ounces sour cream
1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 8-ounce can cream style corn

Mix oil and eggs well. Blend in remainder of ingredients, mixing well.
Bake in 8" × 8" glass baking dish for 35 minutes at 375ยบ.

This turned out to be a very dense, moist cornbread. It was not my favorite but my neighbor Wally said it was the best cornbread he had ever had and that he had eaten a lot of corn bread in his day. So there.